Unleash Your Mind
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Girl Next Door

2 posters

Go down

Girl Next Door Empty Girl Next Door

Post  Trish Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:52 pm

Alrighty. So, this is Girl Next Door, something that I'm writing with Admin Emily. What I write will be italicized, and what Ems writes will be bold.

One

There was a tapping sound at the window.

At first, Holden Archer just assumed that it was the wind, scraping the tree against the house. Or, at least, that was what he wanted to think, trying not to pull himself out of the book he was currently lost inside of. But, he let suspicion get the better of him, and glanced up.

Rolling his eyes, he dog-earred the corner of the page he was on and set the book aside. Of course. Perched on the roof below the window, dripping wet and staring in pleadingly, was Abbie Hunter.

He pulled the window open, staring down at her skeptically.

"Holden! Oh, thank God!" He stepped aside, letting her crawl through and fall ungracefully onto his bed. "Sorry, sorry. Mom and Dad were fighting again, and I had to get out of there. And Joey’s was too far to run in the rain, so..." She paused to catch her breath. "God, Holden. Say something."

"You know, I do have a front door. And it’s probably a nice alternative to climbing my tree and getting my bed all wet."

She laughed. "Yes, but the front door just doesn’t seem as fun."

He rolled his eyes as he pulled the blanket up to her chin maternally, noticing her shivering. Then he pulled his legs up to his chest, resting his head on his chin, and sighed.

"I didn’t...disturb you , did I?" She sounded apologetic.

"Always, Abbie." But he smiled at her. "Nah, I was just reading."

"What were you reading?"

He gestured to the book, lying on the floor beside his beat up, old arm chair.

"It’s huge."

"That’s what she said."

"Perv."

"I learn from the best. Anyway, your parents? What were they fighting about?"

"I don’t want to bother you." But when he shook his head, gesturing for her to go on, she continued. "They were fighting over Annie again."

"Ah. You okay?"

"Well, now, I’m not the one with bags under my eyes, now, am I?"

"I’m fine." He could see her worried expression, that she knew he was not. "You have bags, too."

"Not even half the size of yours, Holdy. Are you getting enough sleep?"

"Sleep? Who sleeps?" He quickly changed the subject. "Nice storm, eh?"

"A beauty."

There was a moment of silence as they both stared at the window, admiring the current state of the weather. Fluffy, hazy gray clouds covered the sky, blocking the sun, unleashing their fury. Rain beat like a drum on the roof of Holden’s attic bedroom, the sound echoing. Outside, it looked like solid streaks, forming puddles on the sidewalk, soaking any unfortunate animals or homeless people. The wind rattled the window, sending the trees rocking back and forth, threatening to come crashing down. It was a nice day, really, and growing later. The night would be spectacular.

"Hey, guys!" An Asian boy, with short black hair and rain-splattered glasses appeared in the hole in the floor, climbing up the ladder. "Whoa, what’re you two doing...?"

"See, now he knows how to use the door."

"Shut up, Holden. I prefer the window, thanks. And we’re doing nothing, Jozef. Watching the storm." Holden watched her cheeks go pink at having that suggested.

"It’s a nice one, isn’t it?" Joey did a headbang, water flinging out of his hair and onto the hard wood floor.

"Must you two get everything wet?"

"Mmm-hmm." Joey plopped down on the now-cramped bed, right next to Abbie, causing her to grin and blush. "Check it out." He pointed out the window, at the house across the street, which had been vacant for the past two years. The three had made the empty, abandoned home their hang out during long, dull summer days. Now there was a large moving van in the gravel driveway, along with a blue minivan and an old Ford 4x4.

"New neighbors?" Abbie asked, gawking. "We haven’t had those since..."

"Since Missy Arthurs," Joey finished for her. "Remember what a bitch she used to be? The preps got to her." Missy Arthurs, such a sweet girl when she’d moved in, had become the biggest bitch ever encountered.

"Any kids?" Holden asked, hopeful.

"Three. Twins, age thirteen, and a sixteen year old," Joey answered, nodding.

"How do you know this?"

"My mom is the neighborhood gossip. She knows all."

"She a prep?"

"No idea..Look! There she is!"

Coming around the moving van, struggling with two large moving boxes, was a petite, short brunette. Her hair was long, with bangs hanging in her eyes down to her nose, and her mouth twisted into a frown.

Holden gawked. Something about the girl was...so different. She wasn’t gorgeous-your average girl next door. But for some unidentifiable reason, he decided that he had to meet that girl. Now.

"Well, lets go say hello." Holden stood up from the bed, running a hand through his long black hair, and glanced at his reflection in the broken, dirty mirror. Could be better, but not hideous.

"What?" Abbie asked. Holden could tell that she didn’t want to get up and out of his bed-Joey was sitting so close to her, their shoulders touching.

"Would you like to relive the Missy incident?"

Joey sighed. "He has a point. C’mon, Abs. We’ll come back, don’t worry. And then we’ll all be as wet as you." He grinned, squeezing her hair, letting it wring out onto the bed.

"Oh, fine." Of course, when Joey says it, she goes, Holden though with amusement.

"Window?" Joey suggested hopefully.

"Sure, why not." Holden climbed back onto his bed, hoisted himself out the window, and made his way down the roof. He climbed onto the tree, down it, and waited beneath the shelter of its branches.

"Lezgo."

Joey led the way, followed by Abbie, with Holden taking up the rear. He didn’t want to seem too eager to meet her-he didn’t want to seem like the neighborhood creep.

By the time they were across the street and out the foot of the new neighbor’s driveway, they were drenched through the skin. Holden ran a hand through his soaking hair-a nervous habit, and smiled as an older couple emerged from the front door. He wanted to break down laughing at the disapproving looks that they cast at the three darkly colored teenagers.

Holden was wearing ripped black jeans, missing each of the knees, and a band tee shirt for Black Sabbath. He was slouching, probably scowling despite his smile, probably wincing from the minimal light coming through a cloud break. Abbie’s long blonde hair was messily pulled into two high piggy tails, and she was weaving her green extensions that fell in her face. She wore a tight black tank top, a neon green skirt, a pair of tattered black Converse sneakers, and black-rimmed glasses. Joey was the only one close to dressed normal, in a pair of jeans and black tee.

"Um, hello," said the woman, raising an eyebrow.

"Hi!" Abbie said. "We’re the welcoming commitee! Sorry, we don’t really do brownies, but...we do offer free hugs!"

"I think I’ll...pass. How old are you three?"

"Sixteen."

"Ah, okay," the man said. He turned around, yelled to the house. "Izzie!"

The girl emerged from the house, looked at the three, and smiled a sarcastic half smile.

"Weirdest looking welcoming committee I’ve ever seen, but, you’ll do. I’m Izzie."
Trish
Trish

Back to top Go down

Girl Next Door Empty Re: Girl Next Door

Post  Admin Emily Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:16 pm

=D
Admin Emily
Admin Emily
Admin

https://unleash-your-mind.aforumfree.com

Back to top Go down